Welcome to the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB)
NIBIB is now in its second decade of incredible progress in developing novel biomedical technologies to help diagnose, treat, and prevent illness. We are driven by a mission centered on the convergence of engineering and the physical and life sciences, with a vision of improved global health.
Extraordinary scientific advances are giving us new tools to tackle challenging health problems. Sophisticated imaging techniques allow us to peer into the human body with pinpoint accuracy and even eliminate or repair unhealthy tissue. Recent developments in bioengineering promise to enhance the body’s natural ability to recover from injury and disease, aided by a new generation of biotherapeutics.
NIBIB’s mission is not limited to a single disease, group of illnesses, or population; rather it spans the entire spectrum. We work with doctors from every field of medicine and bring together teams of scientists and engineers from many different backgrounds to develop innovative approaches to health care.
I invite you to explore our web site to learn how the NIBIB is synthesizing the best ideas from the diverse fields of science and engineering to improve human health. For health care professionals, educators, and the general public, we offer information about our programs and links to additional sources of information. Investigators will find detailed information about our research areas and funding opportunities.
We hope you find our web site informative. We update this site regularly and invite you to return. Please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org if you are unable to find answers to your questions. Join our Listserv if you would like to receive news and web site updates via e-mail, watch our videos on YouTube, or follow us on Facebook, Twitter, and Google+.
Thank you for your interest in NIBIB.
Roderic I. Pettigrew, Ph.D., M.D.
Director, National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering
- White House working group offers future directions for medical imaging (December 22, 2016)
- Basic science: Bedrock of Progress (Science, March 25, 2016)
- The Path to End Cancer: From Engineering Diagnostic Technologies to Crafting Therapeutic Immune Cells (February 24, 2016)
- New Comment on VP Biden's Initiative: The Path to End Cancer: From Engineering Diagnostic Technologies to Crafting Therapeutic Immune Cells
- The Past Half Century of Engineering---And a Look Forward, Chapter 6: Engineering and Medicine (National Academy of Engineering, April 27, 2015)
- Engineering as a New Frontier for Translational Medicine (Science Translational Medicine, April 1, 2015)
- Breakthroughs in Treating Spinal Cord Injury (Human Capital Blog, September 15, 2014)
- BRAIN Initiative in Science Translational Medicine Magazine (June 2014)
- Dr. Pettigrew inducted into National Academy of Sciences, India
- Standards for Quantitative Imaging Biomarkers to Advance and Outcomes as part of the Cancer Moonshot (January 4, 2017)
- Talking music and science with Yo-Yo Ma (December 14, 2016)
- Pettigrew and fellow NIH directors provide highlights of NIH-funded neuroscience research (December 8, 2016)
- Statement on NIH BRAIN Initiative (October 13, 2016)
- NIBIB welcomes Coalition for Imaging and Bioengineering Research group (April 28, 2016)
- Dr. Pettigrew celebrates AIMBE 25th anniversary
- Research funding and what it means for NIBIB (CIBR Blog, February 25, 2016)
- 100 Year Starship symposium
- Morehouse College STEM scholarship honors NIBIB director
- Dr. Pettigrew addresses international convocation of academies of engineering
- Honorary Professor, South China University of Technology, Guangzhou
- Smithsonian Magazine reports on NIBIB-funded spinal stimulation advance
Director's Message Archive