For Immediate Release: Monday, June 11, 2012
Marilyn Daly, NIBIB
What: The National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB) will be celebrating 10 years of biomedical technology innovation with an anniversary symposium and technology showcase on June 22, 2012. The day-long symposium features an exciting line up of speakers, short videos on the latest translational research, and a technology showcase. The showcase will be an interactive, hands-on demonstration of promising, cutting-edge NIBIB-supported research projects. NIBIB is part of the National Institutes of Health.
Who: Nobel Laureates, industry leaders, patients, and other distinguished speakers will discuss emerging developments at the nexus of science, engineering, and healthcare. Speakers include:
- Dr. Shu Chien, National Medal of Science Laureate, Director, Institute of Engineering in Medicine, University of California San Diego
- Dr. Francis Collins, National Medal of Science Laureate, NIH Director
- Dr. Hedvig Hricak, M.D., Ph. D., Carroll and Milton Petrie Chair, Chairperson, Radiology, Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center
- Jeffrey Immelt, CEO and Chairman, General Electric
- Dr. Roderic Pettigrew, NIBIB Director
- Dr. Carla Pugh, PECASE Awardee, Department of Surgery University of Wisconsin School of Medicine
- Dr. Phillip Sharp, Nobel Laureate, Institute Professor, Koch Institute for Integrative Cancer Research, MIT
- Dr. Hari Shroff, PECASE Awardee, NIBIB Intramural Research Program
- Dr. Roger Tsien, Nobel Laureate, HHMI Investigator and Professor of Pharmacology, Chemistry, and Biochemistry, University of California, San Diego
- Dr. Charles Vest, National Medal of Science Laureate, President of the National Academy of Engineering
When: Friday, June 22, 2012
8 a.m. to 4 p.m.
NIH Main Campus
Lister Hill Auditorium, Building 38A
8600 Rockville Pike
Bethesda, MD 20894
More information: Registration and more information at http://www.nibib.nih.gov/news-events/tenth-anniversary-highlights.
This event will not be videocast.
About the National Institute of Biomedical Imaging and Bioengineering (NIBIB): The NIBIB’s mission is to support multidisciplinary research and research training at the crossroads of engineering and the biological and physical sciences. NIBIB supports emerging technology research and development within its internal laboratories and through grants, collaborations, and training. More information is available at the NIBIB website.
About the National Institutes of Health (NIH): The NIH, the nation's medical research agency, includes 27 Institutes and Centers and is a component of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services. NIH is the primary federal agency conducting and supporting basic, clinical, and translational medical research, and is investigating the causes, treatments, and cures for both common and rare diseases. More information is available at the NIH website.
NIH...Turning Discovery Into Health