The first renewal of a new investigator's first R01 grant is a critical event for individuals establishing research careers with funding from the NIH. Interruption of funding as a result of failure of the initial competing continuation application can have a significant negative impact on the research. To address this potential interruption in funding, the NIBIB has established a bridge funding policy for applications that are close to the funding payline.
Bridge funding is available to applicants who meet all of the following conditions:
- Application is for the first competing continuation of the investigator's first R01 award.
- Application is within 3 percentile points of the normal NIBIB R01 payline.
- Application has at least one more opportunity for revision (cannot be A2).
- Funding will be provided for one additional year.
- Funding level for the bridge year will be at the level of funding for the last year of the current grant.
- If the applicant receives funding of the competing continuation through the select pay mechanism or as a result of movement of the payline, the bridge funding will be integrated as part of the budget for the competing continuation award.
- Bridge funding is a one-time only occurrence for that grant.