Bioengineering Research Partnerships
Applicants planning to submit a BRP application to the NIBIB with direct costs of $500,000 or more are reminded that they must submit a white paper (see templates below) and seek written agreement from the NIBIB staff at least 6 weeks prior to the application receipt date. Applicants are encouraged to contact the NIBIB staff well in advance of the 6 week deadline to discuss their planned application.
The NIBIB will only accept new or competing renewal BRP applications with direct costs less than $750,000 unless prior approval has been obtained from a subcommittee of senior staff. NIBIB will consider only applications that are directly relevant to the NIBIB mission.
Please refer to the Notice of Clarification Regarding Submissions to PAR-16-116 Bioengineering Research Partnerships (U01) (NOT-EB-16-006) for information on the change in grant mechanism for Biongineering Research Partnerships (BRP).
Areas of high programmatic interest include:
- intelligent systems design and smart modeling
- enabling nanotechnologies for designed drug and gene delivery vehicles
- in vivo optical imaging
- activatable imaging agents
- multiscale modeling in biomedical systems
- sensor and lab-on-a-chip devices for point-of-care testing
- imaging informatics
- development of engineered 3D human tissue model systems for drug discovery and development
- image-guided interventions
- in vivo microimaging of internal organs
- techniques for characterization and modification of biomaterial interfacial properties
- high-field and high speed (parallel) MRI
- high-frequency and very high-frequency ultrasound imaging and other applications
- novel sensing technologies
- enabling technologies for tissue engineering and regenerative medicine
- high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU) therapies or interventions
- computational analysis and simulation methods
For more information about the EBRG, BRG, and BRP funding opportunities, see our Frequently Asked Questions page.