Ultrasound: Diagnostic and Interventional
Emphasis - Diagnostic Ultrasound
The emphasis for diagnostic ultrasound is on:
- design, development and construction of transducers, transducer arrays, materials and other hardware
- image acquisition and display methods
- innovative signal processing methods and devices
- optoacoustic and thermoacoustic technology
- image-enhancement devices and methods
- ultrasound contrast agents
- image and data presentation and mapping methods
- functional imaging and image fusion.
- image guided surgery
Emphasis - Therapeutic Ultrasound
The emphasis for therapeutic ultrasound is on:
- design, development and construction of transducers, transducer arrays and other hardware
- interventional technologies
- adjunct enhancement of non-ultrasound therapy applications
- high-intensity focused ultrasound (HIFU)
- hyperthermia applications
- non-invasive or minimally invasive interventional surgical or therapy tools
- ultrasound contrast agents for therapy
- targeted drug delivery
- other interventions
Additional areas of support
- examination of parameter space
- machine/deep learning for acquisition and interpretation
- simulation and modelling
In this second part of our Ultrasound series we look at how the technology behind Ultrasound actually works and how it can 'see' inside your body.
This short video briefly highlights 6 cool technologies that your tax dollars have helped to fund.
Functional ultrasound shows color image maps that can indicate the softness or hardness of specific tissues, movement and velocity of tissue or blood, and other physical characteristics. Learn about how doctors use functional ultrasound in NIBIB's new 60 Seconds of Science video.
In Part 1 of the Ultrasound Series we present an overview of the technology and describe the common types of Ultrasound you might encounter.