TRAINING & CAREERS
Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship Program (BESIP)
The application website for BESIP 2017 is now open!
Note: BESIP is a Subprogram of SIP. To apply specifically to BESIP, fill out the main SIP application then scroll to Section 9 of the main SIP application and ADD BESIP as your desired Subprogram.
Please also note that specific deadlines for BESIP are earlier than those for regular SIP applicants:
- The deadline for submitting the online application is February 09, 2017
- The deadline for reference letters is February 12, 2017
- Notification of selected interns will be on or about February 26, 2017
- Intern must accept or decline by March 12, 2017
You can learn more about BESIP from the information below.
About the Program
The NIBIB sponsored Biomedical Engineering Summer Internship (BESIP) is for undergraduate biomedical engineering students who have completed their junior year of college. The 10-week program, under the guidance of Dr. Robert Lutz, BESIP Program Director, is scheduled from June 5, 2017 to August 11, 2017. The internship will allow rising senior bioengineering students to participate in cutting-edge biomedical research projects under the mentorship of world-class scientists in NIH laboratories in Bethesda, MD.
Selected by a nationwide competition, the interns will have the opportunity to indicate preferences from a list of available NIH projects that involve areas of engineering or physical science expertise. The students will participate in group meetings, attend planned lectures and laboratory visits, and be encouraged to submit posters to the NIH Poster Day where summer interns from all disciplines present their projects.
How to Apply
- Application Information - eligibility, stipends, and deadlines
- Application for BESIP on-line can be completed as a Subprogram of the SIP application (see Section 9 of the SIP form), which can be found at https://www2.training.nih.gov/transfer/SIPApp. Please be aware of the different BESIP deadlines compared to SIP deadlines.
Click here to access the 2016 BESIP project list
The latest 2017 project list will be updated around February 1, 2017. The projects list for 2016 is an adequate reflection of the variety of projects that will be available for 2017. Most projects repeat from year to year. Some new projects may be added.
The BESIP Experience: 2016 Interns
Click here for a list of previous intern classes with school affiliations, project titles, and mentors
See the videos!!! Former BESIP intern, Will Sipprell, participates as a subject in research in the NIH Clinical Center Gait Analysis Lab!
Meet Will Sipprell: Introduction (9 MB)