Image Processing, Visual Perception and Display
This program supports the design and development of algorithms for post-acquisition image processing and analysis, the development of theoretical models and analysis tools to evaluate and improve the perception of medical images, and the development of visualization tools for improved detection.
The emphasis is on using image data to achieve better health outcomes and smarter health care. Examples of technology development areas in this program include but are not limited to models, algorithms, software, methodologies, and other tools that will: facilitate medical imaging research; support clinical detection, diagnosis and therapy; and improve patient healthcare.
Program priorities and areas of interest:
- Image segmentation, image registration, atlas generation, image fusion, morphometry measurement, and the determination of function and structure from medical images
- Diagnostic-performance evaluation, computer-aided diagnosis, statistical models for evaluation of observer performance, and assessment of observer variability
- Quantitative imaging and image-based biomarkers
- Image-driven computer-aided diagnosis and decision support systems
- Virtual reality technologies
- Dose estimation and reduction software
This program also supports:
- Early-stage validation of tools for image processing, visual perception and display
- Tools to assess image quality and observer performance
- Tools and software that enable large-scale, longitudinal and/or multi-site imaging studies and clinical trials
- Medical imaging mobile apps for early detection